For those of you who have not had the privilege of visiting the (Mission) Clark Family, you might be surprised to know that we live in a community comprised mostly of residents over the age of 55. There are many advantages to living in a community of this type. For example, it's nearly always quiet, the neighbors watch out for you, and everybody knows everybody. Oh wait, those also happen to be the disadvantages to living here, too!
We found out very quickly not to let the dogs bark too much as this resulted in our names being on the agenda at the monthly board meeting--much to our surprise. After that little mishap I made sure to let a few neighbors know that if they had a problem with something going on at our place, they could feel free to let us know so we can fix it! By all means I don't want to be the topic of negative conversation when I can avoid it!
Once I was walking down to the parking lot and saw my neighbors, Frank and Jim, gesturing towards some duplexes down the hill from the lot. I asked them what the trouble seemed to be. They explained to me that the dog in the backyard of the duplex barks constantly and someone really should do something about it. But fellas, why do something about it when you can stand around and complain!
So, that said I think I am turning into a true Apollo Gardens resident. Last summer, when I was about 8 months pregnant, I was sitting at home alone on a Wednesday night, much like this evening, minding my own business when some thuggish, low riding, no good teenagers came passing through the neighborhood. I didn't take any notice until Xena started growling and I looked up and beheld their slow gait as they walked with one hand holding their sagging pants up. They must have been taking a shortcut down the hill to Quick Trip, because they returned about 20 minutes later with large caffeinated energy drinks and chips in their hands. As one was passing by the pool, he took a final swig of his drink and stuffed it into a hedge outside our pool--OUR POOL!
I was pregnant and annoyed, so what did I do? I strutted my big belly outside and said something to the effect of, "Do you need a TRASHCAN? You can be fined for littering, you know!" They just kind of stared at me, rolled their eyes, and moved along. I went back inside and started to get paranoid. What if they come back in the middle of the night and key my truck?! Why couldn't I keep my mouth shut?! I need evidence! I pulled out my camera and took a picture from my window so I could prove what I saw. Then, I waddled across the street and took a picture of the can in the bush. Next I took the can out and brought it in the house (for fingerprints, of course!). I finally threw the can away when we redid our bathroom a couple of months ago.
So why the sudden urge to blog about this? Well, it's because of the drunken fools that just left MY pool where they broke at least two pool rules over and over again. One girl was so drunk she couldn't sit up on the lounge chair. They guy that was with her tipped the chair over backwards and let her fall out onto the concrete. I think all this annoyance is a good thing. It means I've lost my tolerance that I built up at college for acts of random drunkenness. I think if I'd been pregnant I might have called the cops.
1 comment:
Wow sounds like life is fun in your neck of the woods.
I wanted to tell you I have tagged you. You can go to my blog to see the rules and do it if you want but no pressure.
Adah
Post a Comment