Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July

I must admit, it was actually kind of nice having a fireworkless Fourth of July this year. It's not like Piper will remember the fireworks anyway, but we still had a great barbecue with friends and family, so at least there is plenty of photo documentation. The weather was the most perfect weather I can ever remember having on the fourth. The barbecue was hosted by our friends, Lance and Rosemary Longmore. They have a really cute house that was built in the 30's (complete with a chicken coup!) with a huge yard. Rosie was wondering where to buy fireworks, so I suggested a trailor just north of our house in Wyandotte county. After she had purchased them she realized the reason she couldn't find any in Johnson county is because they are illegal. I think if they didn't live down the street from the police station we might have busted them out. Actually, I need to ask if they ever ended up going for it or not. Anyway, we ate outside and scarfed down ridiculous amounts of meat and watermelon (well, Peter took care of eating most of the meat and Piper and I filled up on watermelon). After taking Piper home to wash off her watermelon stickies Peter and I watched "The Notebook." I think I cried for the better half of an hour during the last half of the movie. What an emotional film! Now I want to read the book, but I don't know if I can take it emotionally. I need to watch a bunch of comedies and action adventures to even things out before I delve down that road again. Peter even liked the movie, which means it was much more than sappy romance.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sounds like a fun 4th! I love Piper's outfit - very fitting.