Saturday, May 24, 2008

Insurance

So, up until two years ago when I graduated college and got my first job, I hadn't dealt with health, dental, or home owners insurance. While I'm very thankful to have these kinds of insurance now, I must admit that I don't fully understand my insurance policies. I'd say my understanding is maybe at 25%. Now, what goes on between insurance providers and doctors offices is a complete other realm of which I understand even less, except I know that I want to choose doctors that are "in-network" so I don't have to pay as much for services. Well, over the past few months I've been dealing with a small insurance misunderstanding between my pediatrician and my health insurance provider. I'm not writing this to explain what happened except that after six phone calls over the span of three months I have finally unravelled the mystery that is this claim from a routine visit for Piper to the doctor. I am writing this to complain about how easy it is to get misunderstood when conversing about these things. I just want to talk to the person in charge that can fix everything in one step, not give me bits of information and tell me to call someone else. Why should the consumer be the middle person? This makes no sense to me. I am so frustrated about this dumb little claim and now that I finally figured out everything that happened (because the so called customer service and billing reps couldn't explain it to me in the first place) I'm coming out looking like the complete idiot, which I really am about all of this, I just hate to admit it. Here's my new strategy: The next time something like this happens, I WILL spend as much time of the phone to figure out every single detail of what is going on so that I don't have to deal with it again!

Am I getting better at writing opinions that are more random? Because I've heard that's what real blogging is, but I've been trained so many times to put my thoughts into a specific order with specific examples, blah, blah, blah, that I'm just now experiencing the liberating rambles of blogging...I just don't know that I'd actually want to read this mess myself.

1 comment:

Devon said...

You could always ask your friendly neighborhood claims adjuster! While I work in auto, I do have the background to understand the other fields...

D