I love garage sales. If you've been reading my blog you have probably figured out that I even garage sale when I'm on vacation in my relative's neighborhoods. Last summer my garage sale hunt lasted as close as I could possibly get to my due date. This summer I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the entire garage sale season.
There's nothing better than hitting that perfect garage sale. What, might you ask, is a perfect garage sale? Maybe you're thinking a perfect garage sale has exactly what you are looking for. This is true. However, the perfect garage sale has one more necessary ingredient: the right price. I read somewhere that if you are having a garage sale with the goal of getting rid of your stuff, you should sell it for 1/20th of what it is worth. If only everyone followed this, every garage sale could have perfect garage sale potential. The only way to make up for lacking this ingredient in your garage sale is to be willing to bargain on the price. However, since I am a complete weenie when it comes to haggling down a price, this ingredient substitution is only good if I have one of my sisters-in-law to do the bargaining for me.
Unfortunately I have had to add a third ingredient to my perfect garage sale recently. Before, this ingredient was just an added bonus, but now it is a virtual necessity, and that is location. When I'm driving a vehicle that gets 14 mpg in town on a good day and gas is $3.50 a gallon, I don't want to negate my good deals by burning up money that could be spent on other perfectly priced garage sale items.
With that said I can now relate to you the event that inspired me to write this and that was my recent trip to a perfect garage sale earlier this afternoon. It was about two miles away, a multi-family garage sale (which is about to become a fourth necessary ingredient), had exactly what I was looking for, and was priced to fit the change in my pocket. So, here is my fantastic deal: three pairs of pants, two cardigans, one sweater, and a onesie, all 18 months for $2.50! No stains! Old Navy! Woohooo!
2 comments:
Wow-that's a really good deal! So I was just looking at the Kehr's blog and saw your link! Hope you don't mind that I wandered over. We have a blog too - I'll send you an invite!
I want to come to some of these fun yard sales with you!!! We have missed you at play-group.
Post a Comment