Friday, May 24, 2013

Dudes with Foods

The Elder's Quorum was looking to hold a Wild Game Cook-Off, which I felt I appropriately titled, "Dudes with Foods" at our house.  We told them sure, why not?  Though, we did make sure it was clear that our property is a wind-magnet and I was not exactly up to cleaning the house, or hosting anything in our pigeon-infested barn.  Thankfully, the weather cooperated and Dudes with Foods was a huge success.  Since is was at our house, I had no problem whatsoever partaking of the delicious dishes the men prepared.  Actually, I think it was the best food I have ever had at a church function to-date.  I attributed this to two factors:  1.  Men are innately competitive, thus put their best efforts into their dishes.  2.  At "normal" church functions the women usually bring the food.  It's their night off from cooking, so they tend to bring the easy, kiddie-crack, crowd pleasers (i.e. hot dogs, Velveeta  smothered anything, thrown together msg laden casseroles, etc.)

The evening began with partaking of the food, of course.  I don't mean to rant about church functions, but there is nothing more irritating than getting there (usually at a time well past dinner time for kids), having to listen to some type of devotional while everyone is misbehaved because they are so ravenous, and then finally serve up the food (in which the first partakers tend to be those that were late and missed the spiritual point of the whole meeting altogether).  This function was appropriately executed in that regard.  Anyway, following the food the men shared hunting tips (Peter was one male asked to speak on the subject, go, honey!)  Lastly, the men swapped stories and shot clay pigeons.  I've never shot a gun, so I took the opportunity to have seconds of some desserts and get to know some visitors that came along.
 Brother Crouch spoke about processing the meat.  
He can really tell a story, if you can imagine.
 Brother Greene insisted on holding Margie.  
She took it pretty well for about ten seconds. 
 Peter lookin' good if I do say so myself!
 Campfire+food+ exaggerated stories=success.
Peter educating the girls on antlers.

No comments: