Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Too Funny

We had the missionaries over last Friday for dinner.  I've learned that some missionaries really appreciate a good, healthy meal.  Then there are others that couldn't care less.  Let's just say I've learned for these elders I don't need to worry about health.  We had pancakes (white flour, not even any flaxseed...it felt so wrong) and bacon (not turkey bacon...two packages of the fully-leaded stuff).  I made a quadruple batch of pancakes and I'm telling you it wouldn't have mattered if I made a quintuple batch, it would have all been gone, along with the brand new bottle of syrup of which only about 1/3 C survived.  Anyway, the opportunity to feed them came as a bit of a surprise to me and though I was a bit annoyed, this lovely story came out of it and I actually remembered to put it on the blog!  Quite a miracle.

On the wall behind our dining room table is a giant chalk board/bulletin board combo we inherited from our former church building after the new meeting house was completed.  I proudly posted my beautifully laminated (and terribly outdated) world map so we could start teaching Piper and Graci a little geography.  Piper was sitting at the table facing the map and she also happened to be facing north. The elders began talking about Topeka and asking Piper for directions as a joke.  Well, Piper was able to give them directions, at least by pointing and saying, "First you go this way, then you turn and go that way."  We have been going to Topeka quite a bit, so I wasn't surprised about this.  She proceeded to add that to get to Kansas City you go the same way, you just keep going longer because it's farther than Topeka.  We were all getting a kick out of her being so sure of herself, so I think it was Peter that asked, "Ok, Piper, how do you get to your favorite fishing spot."  Just like her daddy, she couldn't pick her favorite, but you better believe she rattled off directions to three different fishing spots!  One of the elders said rather loudly, "Wow, she's on FIRE!"  To which Graci replied in an even louder voice, "She's not on FIRE!!!"  We were all in hysterics after that and Graci just responded with her crazy little cackle she has.  Good times.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Love it! I love your smart kids!